Brexit Travel FAQ's for Hen Parties & Stag Do's

Brexit Travel FAQs for Hen Parties & Stag Dos

If you’re back on the planning bandwagon for a party abroad, consider the new Brexit rules on travelling from European Union countries that changed on 1st January 2021.

To help you retrieve updated and relevant information on travelling abroad for leisure, we’ve pulled together some commonly asked questions below.

Can I still travel to the EU for my hen party/stag do?

To sum everything up – yes.

When Boris and the government feel it’s safe to lift all covid travel restrictions you can travel for leisure for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. Make sure to check your UK passport has at least 6 months left on it and is less than 10 years old, and you’re good to go.

These rules are subject to change in 2022, including possible payment for visa waiver entry so please apply this knowledge if your hen/stag parties surpass 2021.

Do I need a new passport for travel now?

Luckily, the passport requirements have only changed slightly, and none of them include the colour blue for now.

You need to check and renew your passport earlier than before, as it needs to be less than 10 years old even if it has 6 months or more left.

Do I need a VISA as a tourist?

Tourists on short trips do not need a visa for when visiting EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liec­hte­nstein. If you’re visiting multiple of these countries within a 180-day period, be sure to check you don’t spend more than 90 days total across all countries you visit.

If you’re spending 90 days on your stag and hen do, we’re super impressed if not a little worried!

How do health cover & EHICS cards work after Brexit?

Same as always, we highly recommend covering yourself with travel insurance, a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHICS) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) before you travel. This will cover you for emergency medical treatment while abroad.

You can find more information and check if you need a GHIC card on the NHS website.

Which queue can I use at passport control?

Most people will likely notice this change the most when they pop on their floppy hats and head to the airport for some sun. Post-Brexit, people travelling from the UK will not have access to use EU fast-track passport control and customs lanes anymore.

Keep in mind, you might also need to show:

  • Your return or onward ticket
  • You have enough money for your stay
  • Your passport as it will be stamped

Can I buy duty free still?

The question on everyone’s lips when Brexit first came to light, and the answer is a resounding yes. If anything, it looks like limits on tobacco and alcohol will increase to save you even more bang for your buck.

Can I drive in European Union countries?

Unfor­tunately, a lot of the nitty gritty changes have been made in regards to driving in EU based countries. If you want to take your own vehicle, apply for a green card and GB sticker before travelling.

You may also need an Inter­national Driving Permit for some EU countries and Norway. See more information on the government website.

Information on mobile charges

With Brexit has come the premature end to guaranteed free mobile phone roaming charges across EU countries. We suggest checking with your phone operator to get full information on charges that can incur from now on.

However, a new law does mean you’re protected from charges over £45 while abroad. From there, you will need to opt in to spend more and continue using the internet.

Can I still organise my hen party & stag do through Funktion Events?

Yes, yes a million times yes! We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to make sure all of our overseas activities are ready to book. See the locations & experiences on offer for hen party ideas and a stag do weekend to get started.